The unincorporated village of Cañon was noted by Simpson when he passed through on his expedition of 1849. It was reported to have been abandoned later due to raids by Navajo. (These reports could also have related to Cañones, which was located one mile from the junction of what is now Hwy. 4 and Hwy. 485.) A post office was established here briefly from 1902-03. Currently, the Jemez Valley School District and Jemez Valley Health Clinic are located here.