Doc’s Cafe/Ward’s Trading Post/Mercantile/Deb’s Deli/Jemez Stage Stop

This former mercantile store, built in 1931 by Swedish immigrants, became a trading post, delicatessen, a café and gas station; it changed hands a number of times and today is the Jemez Stage Stop Cafe. The original store sold hay and wheat, as well as groceries and dry goods. Locals still refer to it as “the Merc” or “the Deli” because of its history as a mercantile store with a deli case. The wooden flooring, door, and some of the windows are from the original building.

Doc’s Cafe

 

pre-DEli 2
Probably when this was a mercantile. Date unknown. Photographer unknown.