Jemez Historic Site/Jemez State Monument

The first non-Indian building at the present-day site of Jemez Springs was the mission of San José de los Guisewa, located just north of the Village Plaza. The first mission was established in 1598 and then abandoned the next year. The Spanish returned to build a church in 1620-21 at … More Jemez Historic Site/Jemez State Monument

Doc’s Cafe/Ward’s Trading Post/Mercantile/Deb’s Deli/Jemez Stage Stop

This former mercantile store, built in 1931 by Swedish immigrants, became a trading post, delicatessen, a café and gas station; it changed hands a number of times and today is the Jemez Stage Stop Cafe. The original store sold hay and wheat, as well as groceries and dry goods. Locals … More Doc’s Cafe/Ward’s Trading Post/Mercantile/Deb’s Deli/Jemez Stage Stop

Mountain View Gifts & Decor/Laughing Lizard Cafe

  After serving as a dance hall and warehouse, the building just south of the Presbyterian Church became a café that changed hands several times; two of its names were the Palace Cafe and the Chili Bowl. It then operated for years as a widely-known destination: The Laughing Lizard, owned … More Mountain View Gifts & Decor/Laughing Lizard Cafe